Ubuntu beginners, fear not, neo's here!!

Having trouble with your Ubuntu???

You've come to the right place. Leave your queries in the comments section, and I will answer them. If the solution works, you can choose to follow my blog.:)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Unity 2D(Qt)... Linux's answer to Windows eye candy features!!!

Hi,

Today I will throw some light on Unity 2D(Qt), a superb graphical feature available in Ubuntu 10.10. All you need is an Internet access, and we are done by entering a few lines of commands in the terminal. 
P.S: Installing this will be at your own risk, I am not responsible if the kernel breaks, as it is a daily build.

But believe me, I have been using Unity for almost 5 months now, so far there's been no complain about it.

Launch terminal, login as root, and type in the following commands one after the other: 
1.sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity-2d-team/unity-2d-daily
2.sudo apt-get update
3.sudo apt-get install unity-2d-default-settings
4.sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let's have a quick look at the Unity 2D feature, well, I haven't told you much about it, Unity 2D is a desktop session(interface) just like Gnome desktop session. It's incredibly fast (faster than Unity 3D) and light. Works great on Ubuntu 10.10. The next distro of Ubuntu 11.04 will have Unity 2D as an option, this means you don't have to download the Unity package, you can use it straightaway in Ubuntu 11.04, I can't wait to get my hands on Ubuntu 11.04!!!

How do you USE Unity 2D??
When logging in, select "Unity Qt" instead of the regular Ubuntu Desktop session.
 
Here's a video on Unity 2D, enjoy!! (Source:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJzk4KR3zpg)

Trivia:
Know what PPA is, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment